Welcome to our weekly newsletter
This Wednesday we welcomed one guest, Bernd Langheim of Rotary Club of Gordano Breakfast. Our speaker was Jan Long District PR Officer from Rotary Club of Ledbury
Business and thanks
Thank you to Mary Whittington for organising the (potential) Prague trip and the supper on Friday evening for all the “Prague Refugees” who were stranded by Easyjet at Bristol Airport on Thursday evening and were unable to make the journey
Thank you to Mark Colfer and Roger Harper for their involvement on our behalf with the the Swift Inclusive Sports Swimming Gala on Saturday 7th October. Mark gave an inspirational account of the event involving 80 competitors. He would like to make this a regular Rotary event and branch it out to other clubs in Bristol (and the District).
Thank you to John Whittaker and his team including Colin Shurrock and Derrick Royall for their involvement in the Young Carers Fun Day also on Saturday
Thank you to those involved in collecting monies at the bucket collections on Wednesday 4th and Friday 6th October. Final outturn awaited as the event does not conclude until Sunday 15th.
Thanks from Aaron and Jo Gough for the club’s gift to them of £100 of John Lewis vouchers to celebrate their wedding in August.
- ComVoc committee meeting after breakfast on 25th October
- Last call for tickets to the Bristol Rotary Club Centenary Ball on the 4th November. Monies to the Treasurer; dietary requirements to Roger.
- Antony Alderson gave details of the Rotary Young Musician of the Year competition Heat which we are hosting at Henleaze United Reform Church on 17 November. He will be looking for volunteers to help and has fifty tickets to sell. It is always an enjoyable evening.
- Bernd Langheim gave a notice about a fundraising concert At Somerset House in Portishead. Please contact the Gordano Rotary Club for more details.
Our speaker this week was Jan Long, the Public Image chairman of District 1100. She gave a great, insightful talk about how everyone in the club can promote Rotary, and explained that she now has help with local District public image from Bernd Langheim of Gordano Rotary club.
Here is a brief over-view of some tips given.
- Encouraged all to practice their “face-to-face” descriptions of Rotary.
- Suggest having a Rotary Club pull-up at the door of Brasserie Blanc to announce where our meetings are being held
- Build links with Local and National media contacts, including radio and TV. Get to know them get them to know us
- Find out when the screenings of Breathe will start in Bristol and link this with any current End Polio Now initiatives
- Post on as many Facebook sites as possible and on the open source Bristol Centre site.
- Explore Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
- Be clear about the format for getting attention for press releases
There was a lot of food-for-thought in Jan's talk - and highlighted what we can all do to promote the club.
Join the club...
Membership is currently open if you would like to join our friendly pro-active group!
If you'd like to come along to a Wednesday morning meeting please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org